This extraordinary sacred edifice enters the highest category of cultural monument values in Croatia. Gothic core was built in the 16th century, and with erecting eastern and western wing in the early 18th century, the monastery and the church get a Baroque character. The particularities of the building are certainly Baroque inventory and numerous works of art.
On the invitation of count Tom Erdödy, a celebrated winner of the Turkish army near Sisak (year 1593) Franciscans from Bosnia, who were initially in the abandoned Dominican convent, came to Jastrebarsko. Thanks to the monetary support of the Erdödy family, they restored the monastery and raised an impressive church. The main marble altar from the year 1734 is a work by Giovanni de Rossi, and the feel is completed by the picture of Mary’s Assumption, the work of Valentin Metzinger, a painter from the Baroque Ljubljana circle. The organ with seven registers, one manual and a pedal was built by Joseph Brandl in 1912. Within the monastery there is a library which preserves valuable books and old maps.
Info phone +385 (0)1 / 6282 110
The parish church of St. Nicholas in Jastrebarsko was mentioned for the first time in the charter of King Bela IV by which, in 1257, Jastrebarsko received the privilege of a free royal town. It is also listed in the list of mountain Archdeacon Ivan, and the list dates from 1334. Within the church there is a tombstone of the Count Petar Erdödy from 1567 and a valuable Baroque pulpit from 1759. The main altar of St. Nicholas from 1913 was done according to the design of Herman Bollé, and side altars of St. Rok and St. Florian from 1922 according to the design by Stjepan Podhorski. Paintings of St. Cyril and Methodius and Epiphany are the works from Marko Rašica from 1922, and in the church there are also Heferer’s organs from 1894. In its present form the church was built on the site where it had stood since ancient times. After the 1880 earthquake the church was restored, the front was redesigned, and the entrance remained framed with Baroque stone doorpost with a semicircular lintel and year 1775. The present appearance of the church was finalized at the end of the 19th century. Organ by the Heferer Company from 1894 were built with twelve registers, two manuals and a pedal. The organ is a successful and valuable work of local builders, and now well preserved. Info: Parish Office Jastrebarsko, Phone +385 (0)1 6281 756
The famous chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary Snow in Volavje is located in the middle of the village and surrounded by a stone fence with a Baroque portal from the 1732. The church is opulently designed with masonry detailing and has a valuable Baroque inventory. Initially the medieval chapel was built, dating to the 15th century, and a new church was completed in 1704. The bell tower is from the 17th century and in the 18th century it has been increased.
Baroque main altar dates from 1706, and four other altars are one of the most complex religious sculptures from the late 17th and early 18th century in the continental Croatia. Very known praying chapel is a Gothic construction, changed in Baroque style in the early 18th century. The church has very interesting composition and connects the longitudinal body of the older building and sanctuary with twelve corners. Upgrade and decoration was ordered by Mirko Erdödy (1707-1709) and then a beautiful complex was made, surrounded by a portico with Baroque portal (1732). For a high quality of unusually opulent inventory of the church credits most likely go to the person who ordered the works - Colonel Paolo Andrassi. The statue of Mary with Child dating from 17th century is preserved, and is highly revered. The whole complex stands out with its exceptional shaping and masses encroachment, rich equipment and details of masonry work. All this makes Volavska chapel one of the most valuable monuments of religious architecture in this region. Info: Parish Office Petrovina, Phone +385 (0)1 6286 099
St. Peter’s church in Petrovina is a unique cultural monument of the Jaska region, and it has been ranked at the highest monumental value. It was first mentioned in the list of parishes in 1334. Priceless are beautiful fresco paintings dated from the first half of the 15th century, old gothic ribs in the sanctuary, a bell tower built before 1668, and the altars of the Archangel Michael and Sorrows Lady from the 17th century, which are included in most beautiful Mannerist altars in the northwestern Croatia. The oldest parts of the church come from a Gothic building which dates back to around 1440. In the interior Gothic arches, moulded ribs, shrines and frescoes are preserved, all done in the late Gothic style. Especially valuable are frescoes of high quality making, and motifs of Passion (Passion of Christ), which is the only such example in the northern Croatia. It is certainly worth visiting late Mannerist altar of St. Antun in the side chapel (about 1730), the wooden pulpit and the organ from 1821. The church is one of the oldest and most important preserved medieval buildings in the whole Jastrebarsko region.
Info: Parish Office Petrovina, Phone +385 (0)1 6286 099
Chapel of St. Francis Xavier on Plešivica is located on a hill outside of town. There was an older chapel on the site, and the current one holds an effigy of St. Francis Xavier in a niche on the façade.
Construction period: 1752 - 1757
Interior: Baroque altars are particularly valuable: High altar of St. Francis Xavier (around 1770) with rich ornaments, Most Sorrowful Mother of God altar (around 1741) with a pieta and side effigies, and St. Urban (around 1683) with a well-preserved painting of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the attic (early 18th century) and an 1887 painting of St. Urban (by Franciscan friar Prokop Gold). There is also a very valuable painted wooden pulpit (around 1760) and a painting of the Seven Sorrows of Mary (early 18th century).
Special note: This pearl of baroque architecture was mentioned in the 17th century as a small wooden chapel. In 1680, a new stonework chapel was built at the same site, and was then renewed and remodeled between 1752 and 1757. At that time, the octagonal base was expanded to three curved chapels, making it a rare example of a baroque three-part floor plan with a monumental concave façade with gables, a bell tower (completed in 1754) and a sacristy.
Info: Jastrebarsko Parish Office, phone: + 385 1 6281 756Photogallery